Is it illegal to sell your processed meat????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kuntrygirl, Jun 28, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I had no idea where to post this, so sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

Several of my egg customers have asked me if I could sell them some of the meats that have already been processed (lamb, rabbit, etc.) but I'm afraid to sell it to them. Is it illegal to sell meat that has been processed? Will I get in trouble for doing this? [​IMG]

Does anyone sell processed meat (by a butcher) to people? I don't know what to do. What do you think?

2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Crowing

Jan 12, 2010
    I believe all meat sold to the public has to be processed through an inspected facility. You can sell it to the public, but it has to be processed by an inspected facility.

Yes you can get into trouble if you do your own or at a non-inspected butcher.... how much and what kind, I don't know.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  3. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    With all due respect to SillyChicken, it all depends on the state you live in.

Here in Arizona, I remain exempt from all the government rules as long as I sell no more than 1000 birds/year. They are all butchered in my backyard, and customers pick them up from me. You will have to check the regulations with your own state, kuntrygirl.

The federal limits are 20,000 birds/year.

Edited to add: I just noticed you mentioned meats other than poultry. In either case, you will need to check with your state. Each state has their own rules about this kind of thing.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Where exactly can I find these regulations?

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I contacted the USDA here in MS and they told me as long as the meat was raised on this farm and processed by me, that I could sell it as long as it wasn't over 1000 birds a year.

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Is that the same as selling processed lamb meat? Do you have special guidelines that you have to follow as far as processing your own meat as far as sanitary procedures?

7. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Yep, for me it's the same as what others said. I can process and sell birds as long as I'm under a certain number per year.

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Everyone does keep mentioning birds so far, so I understand your concerns about rabbit, lamb, ect. Contact your local USDA and see what they say. Different animals have different restrictions per state! Just because 1 state allows bird, that same state may not allow any other meat.

9. herfrds

herfrds Songster

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    We have our steers and lambs taken to our local butcher and they are processed there and the people that buy from us pick up the meat there.

Now as for doing the processing yourself the laws here state that you can sell to family and friends but not to retail outlets.

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Yea, that is what my customers are wanting. I process the meat and they want to buy the meat from me. Lamb and rabbit in particular.

Are you a "farmer"? Are you a business?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by