Is it inevitable?

culdesacfarmer

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
Is it inevitable for chickens to have at least a small amount of lice? I found one scurrying away today on one of my hens neck, so I’m freaking. It’s the first one I’ve seen since getting chickens back in March. Plan to clean and disinfect the coop (again) this weekend, but was just wondering if I was fighting a forever uphill battle. Has anyone gotten rid of the problem altogether?? Any suggestions welcomed. Sorry if this question/answer has worn out its welcome. I’m just a novice, that loves her backyard chickens!!

Last edited:
Have you figured out how your chickens got them? Permethrin 10% spray or garden dust used once and again in 10 days to get both the lice and later, the lice eggs that hatch. Then check once every 10 days to see if they need another treatment. You will also need to empty bedding from the coop and nests, and spray both plus the roosts. Lice are easily brought in by adding only one new bird to the flock, but also by wild birds. I hope that helps.

Have you figured out how your chickens got them? Permethrin 10% spray or garden dust used once and again in 10 days to get both the lice and later, the lice eggs that hatch. Then check once every 10 days to see if they need another treatment. You will also need to empty bedding from the coop and nests, and spray both plus the roosts. Lice are easily brought in by adding only one new bird to the flock, but also by wild birds. I hope that helps.
Thank you. I added new chicks back in aug that I raised since hatch in June. Maybe that’s how? Those chicks were hatched by a broody so it’s possible she was the carrier.

Back
Top Bottom