1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it just me?...Freecycle

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by linben, Oct 25, 2010.

1. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Here is a response I got today for an item I offered:

Interested plz

Sent from my iPhone

Is it just me or is this just too unfriendly? I dont' know the right word. Am I too out of date that everything is done with abbreviations and as little words as possible? I don't respond to these type of replies.

2. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    Maybe they were checking email from their phone and didn't want to let the item get away! [​IMG] I am happy to send long texts but my son will make them as short as possible.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Well, that's the beauty of FreeCycle, YOU have the right to decide just which person you want to give your stuff to. You need not feel obliged to give it to the first person to reply, you can wait a week or more and see who replies and how they word their request. Some folks in my local FC will add things like "courtesy counts in your reply" or "I will decide in _ days".

Unless I have an urgent need to get rid of something (i.e. OFFER: Couch in flames) I like to wait a few days before deciding. I don't think it's fair to favor those with the gagetry to receive emails in their hands as soon they're posted. Many times I've had to rely on trips to the library in order to connect to cyberspace and was grieved to see items offered on FC only to be listed as TAKEN just a few minutes afterwards.

Some folks have gotten used to these brief forms of communication, maybe they thought they were being polite to have at least included the "plz". [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm with you. I tend to ignore those as well. I also favor "Wants" that give a little explanation when they're asking for something. I would give an item to a request worded "Our washer broke yesterday and my family sure does need one that works (electric). Thank you!!" rather than "I want a washer- electric".

5. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Well, that's the beauty of FreeCycle, YOU have the right to decide just which person you want to give your stuff to. You need not feel obliged to give it to the first person to reply, you can wait a week or more and see who replies and how they word their request. Some folks in my local FC will add things like "courtesy counts in your reply" or "I will decide in _ days".

Unless I have an urgent need to get rid of something (i.e. OFFER: Couch in flames) I like to wait a few days before deciding. I don't think it's fair to favor those with the gagetry to receive emails in their hands as soon they're posted. Many times I've had to rely on trips to the library in order to connect to cyberspace and was grieved to see items offered on FC only to be listed as TAKEN just a few minutes afterwards.

Exactly! Well put. I guess I want it to go to someone who seems pleased to get an item.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:I agree that courtesy counts when posting Wants, but I dislike the melodrama. On our local FC there are far too many posts that read like beggars unwrapping their open wounds in order to gain more sympathy. They're don't just ask for an item but must list every impairment, disease, or debilitating condition within their family and sometimes even include the pets. (I really need a new stainless steel sub-zero refrigerator because the dog has fleas and I must keep his medication refrigerated)

Personally, I like the posts that make me laugh, and try to give folks a chuckle when writing my own posts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by