Is it just me or....GRAPHIC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Schultz, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    DH was looking at videos on YouTube this morning and came across 2 very disturbing videos I thought I would share with our fellow BYC'ers. One is a commercial hatchery and the other is a hatchery where we almost ordered our new flock from. I understand that they hatch and sex chickens on a grand scale but to treat these babies in such an uncaring manner is disturbing to us!! These little peeps are not inanimate objects, they are our future pets or livestock.

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've seen that on the show Dirty Jobs to. I thought it was harsh, but its the way they do it.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I guess the other thing you can do is incubate your own. All commercial hatcheries are going to have similar processes. That's how they can get so many chicks out to people so quickly. Look at how many chicks arrive just fine and healthy all the time from commercial hatcheries.

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I understand that, yes, and we are incubating our own. I just thought it was a bit careless.

5. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    but their soo mean!!! they just throw the chicks around like their NOTHING!!!!!

6. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    It just shows you how well we treat our own hatches. I carry my chicks like they are fine china. They are obviously tougher than a person would think. It is amazing how they come through that just fine.

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Exactly my point. I know they have a job to do but they could take a little more care on what they do. I would not pull a chick up by its wing and then toss it in a bin. Guess I wouldn't make it working there.

8. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Wouldn't you like to have all that they throw away!? By the way Buff Orpingtons should never be treated in that manner!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  9. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ya I would like the throw aways don't tempt me to drive there!!! [​IMG] And no the buffs should never be mishandled. By the way were on day 8 in the bator with our surprise Buffs!!!

10. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    It does seem rough. Remember this however, they sit under neath a mom thats shifting her weight, rolling them around, laying and sitting on them, and squishing them! I too handle mine with kidd gloves and talk to them. I hold them in the sunlight so they can take a nap. Goo and gah. I'm a big softie too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by