Is it just me, or is this just rude?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sjisty, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    A while ago I was offered free hatching eggs by someone. I said, great - count me in! Next I was told it would be a while but I was in line to get them. The next thing I know, I was told, sorry, my chickens and roos were killed. Well, trying to be nice, I e-mailed this person and offered them (free) some of my half-growns of the same breed that he/she lost so they wouldn't have to start from scratch. I was even going to drive them 4 hours and meet this person near his/her home. This person didn't even acknowledge my offer - not even a thanks or no thanks. Next thing you know, I see hatching eggs for sale by the same person.

I'm perplexed. Why not just be honest and tell me they decided to make some money off them instead? That would be totally understandable. I would have even bought the eggs. Also, I don't expect undying gratitude, but just a simple thank you would work. What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    "someone" on byc or someone you know know? [​IMG] i must know! LOL

Yeah, my instinct would be to think that they lied too, but there are other ways they could have eggs again so soon ( having younger ones already that may be laying now, or possibly buying grown stock, etc) but i err on the side of caution. The fact that you were never acknowledged on your offer leads me to believe that it was a lie.

3. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    my first reaction is rude but maybe they have a reason [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, I don't know about the lie part, but sometimes I HATE that we've become so dependent on email. I know that I've had mail from friends sitting in my junkmail box for a LONG time...don't know why it went there. So that's a possibilty. Plus, with email, sometimes there are glitches and something gets lost. That doesn't happen with a phone call.

Anyhow, your first complaint would probably bug me, and I would want to know, so I might "poke" a bit, and send (yes) another EMAIL saying how you're happy to see that his/her hens are back in business again, and how you'd still love some eggs, pay or not, just to see what story they come up with.

Maybe they had good intentions with their offer of free eggs, but then couldn't give them away for free and were embarassed to just come out say that, and so fabricated a story???

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Rude-especially no acknowledging! Very rude plain and simple~

6. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Quote:The "someone" was here on BYC.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

Oh good Lord was it me? Tell me it wasn't me? No wait I disnt lose my flock never mind. Just sometimes I get so spacey and forget things and I hope whoever I promise things to stays up my butt as I wouldn't do it out of blatent neglect-I do it out of wanting to help everyone and forget [​IMG]
    I would conact that person and nicely tell them how you feel and what transpired in your mind as it might not be the same in their mind-if they don't get back to you-then bleah on them for losing a good BYC buddy!

8. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    [​IMG]

Nope, Sonew, it wasn't you.

9. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD

I know EXACTLY who you are talking about - and had the same thing happen to me [​IMG] I had been willing to buy the eggs, too, but had waited b/c I wanted a specific color that I couldn't be guaranteed b/c of the way that person pens their chickens...so I jumped on the opportunity to just pay for shipping. Go figure, waited for over a month...and was told no-go, chickens all gone [​IMG]

10. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    That's annoying. If they lost their flock and replaced from a mail-order place, with a minimum order, they could be selling the five extras, or whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by