Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Reinbeau, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I get tired of clicking on a breed and being brought to the rooster picture first. Many of us who are into chickens for eggs don't want the roosters (well, one or two). I want to see the hen. I was just on this British site (with absolutely gorgeous pictures, by the way) and every breed I clicked on I had to look at the thumbnails to bring up the hens - of course the roosters are gorgeous, but I'm not going to get more! I guess it's just me [​IMG]

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    ....I guess it's a man's world...even in chickens.... [​IMG]

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]

What gets me is why God had to make the roos so freakin gorgeous instead of the hens....I want colorful breeds, and the only way to get that wish is to buy a whole flock of roos....

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

What gets me is why God had to make the roos so freakin gorgeous instead of the hens....I want colorful breeds, and the only way to get that wish is to buy a whole flock of roos....

I don't know this for 100% certain but I think the original plan calls for the males to be flashier to draw the attention of predators away from the females. It's true in alot of species, not just chickens.

5. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, I believe you are right gritsar!

6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California

I don't know this for 100% certain but I think the original plan calls for the males to be flashier to draw the attention of predators away from the females. It's true in alot of species, not just chickens.

I actually think the males coloration is more for courtship. Some male animals dont stick around after mating. That is why female birds are usually dull, like ringneck pheasants. They blend in well with their surroundings, so its hard for a predator to spot them. But then again, I could be totally wrong!

Those Lemon Pyle Brahmas are gorgeous!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  7. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, thanks, make me feel bad. Don't let us think we have any roll in helping the family. All guys think about is sex, sex, sex.* [​IMG]
    * you're likely correct....[​IMG]

8. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Quote:I don't know this for 100% certain but I think the original plan calls for the males to be flashier to draw the attention of predators away from the females. It's true in alot of species, not just chickens.

I actually think the males coloration is more for courtship. Some male animals dont stick around after mating. That is why female birds are usually dull, like ringneck pheasants. They blend in well with their surroundings, so its hard for a predator to spot them. But then again, I could be totally wrong!

Those Lemon Pyle Brahmas are gorgeous!

theOEGBman-you are right. This is particularily true for birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by