Is it just me??

jbeck013

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Maryland
My Coop
My Coop
I got 4 great girls back in April. First eggs started coming out in late June. By July I was getting 4 a day, every day. 3 times I got 5 eggs in a day. I am still getting 4 eggs a day. Hurricane Sandy rolled through, 4 eggs the next morning. Snowed all Christmas Eve - 4 eggs on Christmas. Snowed the day after Christmas - 4 eggs this morning.

Don't get me wrong, I love this, but everything I have read, I thought they would stop laying some during the winter.

Is this normal or do I have some Super Chickens.

I think it depends on the breed. Some are more prolific layers than others and will continue laying through winter. What breed of chickens do you have?

I'm guessing that you have red or black sex links - sort of 'Super Chickens'. They are laying machines but tend to burn out sooner. Enjoy a good thing.

We have a mixed flock of 17 girls of laying age and the least we have gotten so far is 8 eggs a day. One girl is molting pretty good so she is not laying but even with that we have had several full production days (except her) this month. We did not add extra light this year and I would say most are laying every other day to every third day, some daily. I do know others whose girls have "quit" for the winter.

You are correct, they are red sex link. There's Bevis, Butthead, LaFonzo and my favorite, Fabio. Fabio is the smartest of the bunch, as she follows me around everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom