1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it leg mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleBird123, Jun 3, 2017.

1. LittleBird123

LittleBird123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2016
    USA, Michigan
    upload_2017-6-3_14-19-34.png

The scales on here feet have looked like this for a while, at first I thought it might be leg mites but none of my other chicken's legs look like this. The scales are just very thick and there is nothing under them that would be pushing them up. It also looks like she is growing some small spurs, can hens even grow spurs?

2. Arin's Backyard

Arin's Backyard Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2017
    Yes, some hens can grow spurs. If she has access to loose dirt in order to dust bathe maybe try using DE?

Leah567 likes this.
  3. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Try Using Diatamachous earth, it could help the leg mites, if that's what it is

Arin's Backyard likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @LittleBird123 :frow

It does look like she has Scaly Leg Mites.

Soak the feet and legs in soapy water, gently scrub them with a soft brush, dry, then apply some Vaseline, A+D ointment or castor oil. Re-apply oil daily for a couple of weeks. This should help smother the mites which are microscopic and cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Check her over for any signs of poultry lice/mites in her feathers as well (around vent, under the wings, etc.) if you see any, treat with a permethrin based poultry spray or dust.

5. LittleBird123

Nov 12, 2016
    USA, Michigan
    If it is leg mites then wouldn't the other chickens have it too? They all share the same coop, so it seems like it would spread.
    But i will try putting Vaseline on her legs for now and i will search her for any other mites.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Leg mites can be transferred through contact. But the spread is generally slow. The legs on your hen don't look near as bad as they could get, so if you start treatment now and get them under control, the less risk of them spreading.

7. LittleBird123

Nov 12, 2016
    USA, Michigan
    Thank you for your help, i will start the treatment today. :)

8. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    9.5 out of 10 times DE will not cure leg mites.
    Use vaseline, it really works.

9. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop

At one point in this video she says what to do for leg mites.

ChickSpoiler likes this.
  10. LittleBird123

Nov 12, 2016
    USA, Michigan
    Thank you the video was very helpful.
    I washed her legs and feet in warm soapy water today, and I rubbed some Vaseline on her legs too. this was very difficult though, she is one of my more skittish chickens and hated the treatment. But she will have to deal with a few more treatments until her legs look better. :)

sassysarah123 and KikisGirls like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by