Is it legal to release native wild animals into a wilderness area?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bigwig, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    Is it legal to release native wild animals into a wilderness area?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Generally no, for disease and territorial reasons. Check your fish& wildlife regs

1 person likes this.
  3. 1cock2hens

1cock2hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    The Far SW of missouri
    In most states the answer is absolutely not legal. Most animals that are caught and released die.. often killed for being in another animals territory or starving to death lost in a strange place

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Even if it is legal where you live, it's really better to kill them...for many reasons.

-You've just introduced trap savvy pest/predator animals into someone else's 'backyard'.

-The spread of disease is a very real aspect and why it's illegal in many states to relocate trapped predator animals.

-Releasing an animal into another animals territory could well sign it's death warrant anyway, in case you were thinking of 'saving' the 'poor little creature'. Probably a worse death than a quick shot to the head or even a 'trashcan drowning'.

Since we've displaced their habitat (and more importantly their natural predators habitat) and fed them to overpopulation with our garbage...IMO, it is our duty to become the 'apex predator' and kill them when they become a problem to the extent that we need to trap them.

2 people like this.
  5. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Of course, OP didn't state what kind of animal. It could be a turtle or snake or something, that's why I didn't get into all that.

2 people like this.
  6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    That's why the first recommendation was to check the state regulations. Look on the Utah DNR website, or call them. Mary

7. gmfwlbrdr

gmfwlbrdr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Ohio
    HERE ,ONLY CERTAIN SPECIES can be released, and coons are to be shot where trapped ,, coons are notorious for carrying and passing diseases like distemper ,parvo ,, and myriad of parasites as are possums ,, possums may not suffer from many diseases but they do carry parasites and both these species are like vaccums on the forest floor eating everything they find ,turkey eggs ,ruffed grouse ,songbirds , Trap and kill these two species as regulated by law and help save some Birds eggs and never Release them .

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

Lol I know. That was my post.

9. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    I am trying to release a mink from a local wildlife rehabilitation center. I live in NC.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The rehab center should know the rules.......if not, they ought to learn them for sure.

I'm confused, your profile says Utah....then you say NC...did you move?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by