Is it legal to sell eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cutlass1972, Sep 20, 2009.

1. cutlass1972

cutlass1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    I am not having them inspected or anything. I have people at work asking to buy them. Is it technically legal for me to sell them?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Depends on your state laws. It's legal here to sell off your own property, but you are supposed to be certified in some candling class to sell anywhere else. Folks rarely follow that here, but if they decided to crack down, they may be in trouble.

3. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    I don't see why it would be. It's not like you are a store.

I used to buy fresh eggs from one of my coworkers all the time....

4. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    If you have them to sell, then sell them. I don't have enough layers to sell eggs or I would. If people have any question as to the cleanliness. Tell them to look ay the internet and check out how they are getting their store bought eggs. They will be more than happy to buy yours. I wouldn't worry about any legalities. [​IMG]

5. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I've always gone by the policy of it is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permission. [​IMG]

6. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    what state are you in? maybe someone from your own state can let you know what the local law is. I know is WV you can sell up to a certain amount before you need any kind of license (I think it was 100 dz per month, I know it was way more than I'd ever have) but if we want to get a license its around $10 and the NPIP is free.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  7. Lilredhippie

Lilredhippie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2008
    Central Missouri
    Google your state's Weights and Measures with your department of agriculture. They are probably the people who set the rules.
    In Missouri, you can sell from your property and you can deliver, you just can't sell at an established place of business, so not at the farmer's market, without a license....Unless....
    You sell more than 30 dozen a week, then you must have a license. To get that an inspector comes to your house, asks to see your eggs, checks the temperature of your fridge, checks a couple of dozen to make sure they pass the clean egg rules and is supposed to crack a few to grade them. They are also supposed to check your scales to make sure they are accurate and to certify them.
    So, check your laws, most likely you are OK as long as you are not selling a whole lot of eggs or selling them at a place of business. Selling to your co-workers is delivering to your customers.

8. cutlass1972

cutlass1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    I live in KY

9. Chickens in Elmwood

Chickens in Elmwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Elmwood, WV
    Quote:Yes! This is right for WV. I don't think they really even inspect you, they just want the 10 bucks. But seriously, who is selling that many eggs???? [​IMG]

10. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:you could try asking the question in the where am I section under the Ky thread. I would guess someone there would know your states laws. Of course you have to trust that they actually know the answer and aren't guessing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by