Is it legal

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by murphismo, Sep 30, 2011.

1. murphismo

murphismo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    to kill and slaugher my own chickens for food without a permit or something?

2. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    In most jurisdictions I can't imagine it would be illegal to eat your chickens, as long as it's legal to keep them. If you're selling the meat, the rules change, but personal use and church potlucks are probably okay. There may be animal cruelty ordinances that would prohibit you from torturing them before you kill them. So no water boarding!

3. murphismo

murphismo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    THANK YOU! I won't waterboard them:D I had two roos we got as peeps who were supposed to be gals. We can't have roosters, so last night we did the deed, for the first time. It was quick and humane and I think much easier for the roosters:lol:

4. WriterChick

WriterChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Maine
    You will probably want to check with your town ordinance official though - while towns/cities do not care if you eat your own chickens, some do care if you slaughter them in your backyard. Some places may require that you send them away to be butchered.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I would think so as long as you don't through the inerds in the neighbor's back yard. I can't imagine there being a law against that.

6. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Quote:Sorry to say, they do regulate that. I believe that Fort Collins, Colorado, allows chickens but specifically states that you cannot butcher them.

I quote:
    "(8) The chicken hens may not be killed by or at the direction of the owner or keeper thereof except pursuant to the lawful order of state or county health officials, or for the purpose of euthanasia when surrendered to a licensed veterinarian or the Humane Society for such purpose, or as otherwise expressly permitted by law."

Seems like a dumb restriction to me, but what do I know? What are you supposed to do if a coon gets in your coop at midnight and injures a bird so bad that you need to kill it out of mercy? Wait till 9am and take it to a vet to humanely euthanize it? How is that humane, letting it suffer for 9 hours until you can PAY BIG BUCKS to have someone do the dead.

7. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I'd just do it without asking.

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Some municipalities do NOT allow you to slaughter your own animals. For example: In Phoenix, you must have more than 8,000 square feet to be able to butcher livestock and fowl.

Also, make sure you check the definitions of the items allowed. IE- In Phoenix, chickens are NOT considered livestock, as they are not mammals. "Mammals" are defined as "able to contract rabies".

..sneaky, huh?

9. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Not legal to slaughter in Denver, Colorado either. Lots of places won't let you. However, I also read on, I believe, the Denver Urban Farming website that Denver only enforces if complaints are received and it's not a criminal offense. However, in theory, depending on how a law is written, they could potentially prosecute you for cruelty to animals or similar, which can be a felony, depending on degree. I assume this was asked after the fact, but I would not do it again without checking.

10. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I'm glad I still live in the land of the free. Not that I have any intentions of killing any of my chickens, but my goodness, some of those laws seem very over-reaching, as though all of us are idiots and can't possibly accomplish anything responsibly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by