Is it me or are my girls getting fat?

BigBen

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Smithfield,RI
How can you tell if your flock is fat.
chickensinyard004.jpg

Have your girls recently completed a molt? Mine look extra plump right now, with all their beautiful new fluffy feathers.

mine are getting fatter after molting. I swear one marans hen lost half her body weight she is the only one I am worried about. They look happy and healthy to me! No one wants a skinny chicken
tongue.png

Quote:
Some birds go thru a mini-molt, around 7 to 9 months, but typically the first adult molt is around 18 months.

You mean to tell me there's actually such a thing as a fat chicken? Hmmm...never heard of one!
wink.png
Nope...those girls just look healthy and happy to me. And with the cold weather that you're sure to get eventually in Rhode Island, they need every ounce and every feather they can put on their bodies to get them through the weather.

Right now I have a sweet little GSL that didn't finish her molt in time for winter. We're having daytime high temperatures that can't seem to get above 15F for the last week....I've been keeping Abigail inside during this time. And she couldn't be happier about it...though I think DH would prefer she not be inside right now!
gig.gif
But I know she can't handle that kind of cold with so few feathers to keep her warm.

So, be thankful your girls are so "plump"! They'll do much better through the winter because of it!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom