Is it Me or the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by drmeyes236, Oct 26, 2009.

1. drmeyes236

drmeyes236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    Do I just plain s**k at incubating or is it the bator? I set 9 of my own duck eggs 3 were going strong only 1 looked good at lockdown I also set 11 local eggs not shipped 7 were good at lockdown yesterday was day 21 and 1 hatched another is pipped, but come on now?!I have a still air LG with turner. Water wiggler 99.6 what gives? They are all quitting on me very late! I had 2 hygrometers that both quit after the last hatch of 1 out of 30! So I just kept the water channels full and misted daily (after we turned on the furnace) This was kind of my test at incubating because we always blamed it on the shipped eggs, and so far not promising!

2. faerielady

faerielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:What's your humidity? If they are making it that late, maybe they are drowning or shrinkwrapped?

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I have read that a "still-air" incubator should have a temperature a degree or 2 HIGHER than a "forced air" incubator which is set at 99.5 F.

(I don't know how much difference this would make in your hatch........IF ANY?)

just a stray thought, [​IMG]
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I think your temp is too low. I read that with still air you temp at top of eggs should be 102. Someone with a still air might be able to answer better, for I bought a hova-bator with forced air.

5. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Your temp is to low for a still air. It needs to be 102 for still air and 99.5 for forced air.

When I started out with hatching I used a still air LG. My hatch rates were really bad, out of setting 40 eggs I would get maybe 12 chicks. I did this with about 6 hatches. About a month ago I took a fan out of an old computer I had that I didn't use any more and asked my DS if he would put in in the LG bator for me with my instruction on how I wanted it put in. (ie. where to put it, air blowing up with spacers so it didn't blow directly on the eggs, how to run the cord out, etc...)

I am just finishing up my first hatch with my modified LG......I am so happy. I put in 22 eggs total and only have 4 eggs left in the bator. I have at least 2 that I am sure passed after I went in lock down, 1 has just pipped, and one I am unsure of. So out of 22 eggs, I have 18 soon to be 19 babies. This is a great hatch for me and the only thing I changed was adding the fan.

You can pick up the computer fans at Radio Shack and the power converter cords for about $30. I had the fan and just got the cord for about $12 bucks. IMO it was definitely worth it.

Good luck, hope this helps you.

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Did you check for fertility on your duck eggs before setting them? When my ducks first started mating it took a good month before the drake got the job done. You need to crack one or two open before a set to see if you are getting fertility. Low temp will not kill off your eggs just make the hatch late. Odds are your eggs are not fertile yet.

7. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    I have a still air, Hova bator, I keep mine at 100, it will vary + or minus 1 degree throughout the day, I always have 75% or better hatch rate. If the eggs aren't shipped I do better... 85% to 95%. (I'm in Texas, what works best can also depend on where you live)

8. drmeyes236

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    I guess I failed to mention the water wiggler was 99.6 the temp was adjusted to keep that steady so the actual air temp was 101.0 on top of the eggs as far as the fertility of the duck eggs there was 3 moving babies on day 18 at day 25 I saw movement in only 1. These duck eggs were from my pekin drake and mix duck which were snatched by a hawk out of my yard so I have no more eggs. 2 of the 7 silkies have hatched I am not seeing anymore pips as of this time.

9. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Could be a ventilation problem. I've read that As the embryo grows it needs a higher level of air exchange. Larger embryo requires more oxygen. So if you have late stage development but a low hatch rate they could be suffocating. Do you have the vents open or closed during lockdown?

10. drmeyes236

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    Both vents open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by