1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it mean to sep roos where they can See the hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chihuahuamom444, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    I really don't want to part with my roosters, one Ive had for years, but I am so tired of them on the hens all the time (not so much the older roo) I would love to see my girls just do their thing and not have to worry about someone jumping them. The only way I could seperate them would be to split the run so the roosters can still see them, is that really mean to do and a big tease? I may leave my silkie roo with the girls because he doesnt seem to be to bad, but Im not sure yet, I think no boys would be good for a while......what do you guys think? [​IMG]

2. bucket04

bucket04 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Falcon, Colorado
    I have 5 roos and 9 hens, 3 of the roos are destined for the stew pot but I haven't gotten around to it yet. At first, I had everyone together, until I noticed how scared the hens were getting and hiding on the swingset all day every day... so I 'jailed' the 3 roos.... eventually 2 of them ganged up on the bully roo in there and started hurting him, so I let him out. The other two are fine in there by themselves, and I now have 3 roos loose with the girls. One of them is the "man" and the girls love him. One of them is gorgeous and *I* love him, the last one, "Pecker" is mean to my kid, and really needs to get into the pot asap. I don't know if it's cruel or not to jail them, but you have to do what's best for your girls. IMHO.
    Good luck!!

3. Chihuahuamom444

Jan 27, 2011
    Haha to the name Pecker [​IMG], I know the answer is to get rid of the xtras but I like them and prob would breed them down the line, it just drives me nuts when they go after the girls

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I had two "brothers" in a pen next to the hen lot, the wire was chainlink. They got more scratch and scraps than the hens to cut down on cost. They were really entertaining, trying to lure the girls to the wire with their treats. They seemed very happy to coexist with the hens through wire.

5. Chihuahuamom444

Jan 27, 2011
    I am trying to rehome one of my frizzle bantam roos anyway, but that won't help much, I guess I think about how they will feel to much and just Do it [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Why is this such a problem for you, it's not that big a deal, and well ...... it is kinda natural for animals in a flock enviroment.

AL

7. Chihuahuamom444

Jan 27, 2011
    Quote:Why is this such a problem for you, it's not that big a deal, and well ...... it is kinda natural for animals in a flock enviroment.

AL

Because I want my girls to have a break....they'll be eating and pecking in the grass and get jumped, one has feathers missing on her back so she must be a fav....I just Don't like it...Ive always had my hens and roosters together, but for some reason this spring seems to be worse and I have less roos

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yeah I can see where it is a pain to see the hen's not looking their best, I can't say where to go from here except to possible limit exsposure and number of roo to hen ratio. good luck though.

AL

9. bucket04

bucket04 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Falcon, Colorado
    I know how you feel. 8 of 9 of my hens are now bare-backed. I hope that once I get rid of Pecker, the girls will molt and grow their feathers back. If it's not him doing the damage, I'll have to separate the good guy and/or the cute guy from them and see who is doing the most damage, and possibly only allow them 'supervised visits' when I need hatching eggs. I have no problem separating the guys from the girls if they can't play nice. [​IMG]

10. Chihuahuamom444

Jan 27, 2011
    Quote:Yea I think I decided to make a bachelor pad and do it that way, my poor little girls need a break and I already have 3 setting on eggs and do NOT need any more babies, so hopefully the roos won't put up a fuss and pace, that will drive me crazy to, maybe if they are seperated for a bit it'll become normal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by