is it molting season?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by obsidianembrace, Aug 31, 2009.

1. obsidianembrace

obsidianembrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Utah
    Clyde-male call duck, 7 months old- seems to be losing a lot of feathers lately. no big ones, just the down. Is molting season starting? or is this something else?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It looks like there was a massive pillow fight in my backyard....so yeah...molting time. At least at my place! LOL

3. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh yeah definitely molting time!! Right now I can't tell my 6 month olds from their momma duck. They've got poofs and bare spots all over the place. Look like drowned ducks:lau

4. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Molting season for sure! All four of my duckies are loosing feathers and my little call drake is finally getting his purdy feathers. [​IMG]

5. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Yep molting time at my place as well, the run is covered in white (if olnt twas snow) [​IMG] lol

6. And everybody are you also having no eggs???
    Mine started slowing down laying and after a little while the feathers started piling up in the yard. I't's been almost a month and I am still waiting for eggs!!

Their wings looks so funny without the flight feathers!

7. Squirtchy2009

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    I hav'nt had any eggs but then again that might have something to do with the fact that mine our still quite young, there about 3 months old now (i think) [​IMG][​IMG]

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:Isn't that a bit young?? I thought they had to be least a year old before they go into their first molt. Maybe that explains the excessive feathers in the pool. Mine are 5 1/2 mos.

9. Squirtchy2009

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    I got told my male call duck which can only be 6 months old at the most was molting by some forumers the other day, i supose mine could be growning there adult feathers though !

10. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Young scovies are in the pillow making business up here in MA for the past few days. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by