Is it my Red Star?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whoacowboy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    I brought home three little ones and they are now 19 weeks. Then a few days later I brought home a red star who seemed young but quite a bit bigger than my three little ones. Her crown and waddle are about half way grown and are red, not bright red though. Yesterday we found an oblong egg, very soft, light brown with speckles. I am wondering if it was the red star. I have checked the spread on all four and they all seem to be about the same. I just wish I knew who's doing it. The crowns and waddles on the others are very small yet. Because when I bought the red star the seller told me she was laying. If it isn't her the seller said I can take her back. My question is, can the red star be doing this? And why all of a sudden after three weeks? She's very calm, very friendly. Never seemed stressed. Or is it one of my new girls who is younger? [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It could very well be the red star. A move can cause them to stop laying for awhile, so it would make sense that she stopped for a few weeks before resuming to lay.

3. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    I feel bad because we kept her since we thought the egg might be hers...but exchanged two of the others. I thought three weeks would give them enough time to get back in the swing of things. Oh well, lesson learned. I will be more patient with the two new girls. And I hope in the meantime the red star is the new mystery layer. Time will tell! Thank you!

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Red stars are an early developing variety. 19 weeks sounds about perfect for them to start laying (mine all started at 18 weeks on the dot. It was freaky, like they all had day planners).

Most other varieties are more likely to start laying around week 20 to 23. There are even varieties who wait longer (like my EE), going on to week 28.

I hope that clarifies things a bit!

5. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Do Red Stars look "mature" earlier then other breeds? Besides her weight, and the rest of her comb, she looks all grown up.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I have some black stars, 11 weeks old, that look like minatures of the adult black stars. Completely developed, just need some size.

7. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Interesting. So the girl just needs some time to grow up! Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by