1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is it necessary to make a coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by duck15, Jul 31, 2011.

1. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    for chickens if i live in a place where there is not predator

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Unless you are on the moon, there are predators. Even cities host coons, possums, dogs, coyotes, even foxes, hawks, vultures, cats etc. Plus they need some place to get out of the elements and lay their eggs.[​IMG]

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I live in the middle of Phoenix, and I still get coyotes in my subdivision, 8' brick wall-fenced yard.

We also get Cooper's hawks. Great Horned Owls, turkey vultures, neighborhood cats, dogs, wayward neighborhood children, and human predators.

Besides, you'll want somewhere for the ladies to lay eggs on a regular basis. It would stink for you to make the investment in chickens, and lose them to predators.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Are their any hawks or owls or weasel like creatures in the Philippines? Those could be a threat to chickens. If there are few predators who can climb trees, maybe if you have chickens who are good fliers they can roost up high, but it they still might like some shelter from the weather. If you are raising chickens for eggs, you will also need to encourage the hens to lay eggs in nest boxes.

5. duck15

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    none

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    You would still need a place for them to get out of the sun/rain. And one of the most dangerious predator is dogs, they'll kill a flock for sport. Now with that said you could build them a small mini shack inside a good fence and do well, but yes there are predators everywhere.

7. The reluctant chicken

The reluctant chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Litchfield County
    Aren't there snakes and eagles where you live?

8. duck15

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    in a city none
    but yes there are dogs and cats

9. duck15

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    cant a chicken find and make its own nest
    by find i mean find a place where it is sheltered

10. Young Heritage

Young Heritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2010
    Monterey TN
    Rats are in the city too. I know people who do not have coops and runs for their chickens. Just expect a certain amount of loss. It will happen at some point. I free range mine but put them in coops at night and still lost %30 of my flock so far this year. Re-thinking some things to get the percentage down for next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by