1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it necessary....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tarragon, Apr 10, 2011.

1. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    to have a poop board under the roost? Our set-up (still under construction) is an enclosed run/yard using our kids wooden swing set frame, with an attached 2 story coop. The lower level will have the feeder and water, the upper level will be for roosting/nesting.

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Nope. I don't have one.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Absolutely not. It is *handy* in many ways, especially if you have air quality or ventilation "issues" and/or are trying to minimize the amount of bedding you have to clean out; but not even remotely *necessary* [​IMG]

Also very easy to retrofit if you change your mind later [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    Thank you![​IMG]

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I have one only because it keeps the coop cleaner and easier to clean, for me. Everyone has their own preference.

6. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I don't have one either. When I go out in the morning, I usually just clean up the big piles with a garden shovel and throw in the poo bucket. Whatever works for you is the best way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by