Is It Normal? (Cockerel/Rooster Behavior)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Is it normal for a Cockerel to be really terrified of humans?
Will he grow out of it?

Our cockerel named Mr Frizz who is just about 4 months old is really scared whenever I attempt to pick him up or try to sit near him. I held him a lot as a chick whenever Mouse brought him and the other chicks over to me but now he wants nothing to do with me. He won't even attack me when I enter the chicken yard.
As much as I prefer to not be attacked, I'm scared that he won't protect his flock when he needs to. We only have hawks as predators, at the moment, but I really don't want to lost any hens if he doesn't protect them.

What should I do about him?

IMG_20180713_171652.jpg

He is still young. Be glad he is nervous of you right now becuase he views you as the alpha to be afraid of. Is not an over night thing to them protecting thier flock. He will have to earn respect and domanace before the older hens will respect him as a leader. It takes while, it took mine most of his first year. So don'tover think it right now. He's just a nervous preteen kid at the moment.

My experience is like both yours, and @sawilliams ' - I initially thought I had a bad cockerel (i.e. he didn't do what he was supposed to) but he's grown up over this summer to be a really good one... Bit like some people then! ;)

As much as I prefer to not be attacked, I'm scared that he won't protect his flock when he needs to. We only have hawks as predators, at the moment, but I really don't want to lost any hens if he doesn't protect them.
Don't confuse a cockerel's reaction to humans with his actions regarding his girls.
.....and don't be fooled that he will be much protection against predators,
they can call an alarm but are often hiding too or a speed bump on the way to the buffet.

This is true his first job as protector is to alert the flock to move to safety. A respected leader with a good voice will do this much better then the aggresive defender. Where as an aggressive defender likely won't last very long.

Thank you everyone!
I was just worried as we've never kept a cockerel/rooster this long before so I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. Usually by the time the first crow is heard, we have gotten rid of the cockerel.

Luckily we have a no crow collar on him so we'll be able to keep him. He actually hasn't tried to crow and I read that bantams will attempt crowing earlier than standard. Is that normal for a 4 month old bantam cockerel?

Thank you everyone!
I was just worried as we've never kept a cockerel/rooster this long before so I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. Usually by the time the first crow is heard, we have gotten rid of the cockerel.

Luckily we have a no crow collar on him so we'll be able to keep him. He actually hasn't tried to crow and I read that bantams will attempt crowing earlier than standard. Is that normal for a 4 month old bantam cockerel?
Bantams crow a LOT quieter than a full sized rooster. I have a couple Bantam Cochin/Chocolate Orp 5 month olds that sound like squeaky toys.

One thing about the no-crow collar, it can kill your rooster. If he tries to eat something large, like a mouse or a frog he could choke and die because the collar won't let the food past. It also needs to be checked at LEAST once a day to make sure it is adjusted properly so it doesn't choke him.

Personally, I think if you don't want crowing, don't get a rooster. The collars lean towards inhumane.

Back
Top Bottom