Is It Normal For A Cockeral To Act Crazy In The Mornings??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PamB, Nov 24, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    My cockeral just started crowing a couple weeks ago. He is normally a very calm boy and not aggressive towards the other chickens. However, first thing in the morning...WATCH OUT! He is pecking and chasing everyone in sight in between his crows! He doesn't come at me during this time, if I walk toward him, he runs away from me (which is good). I'm just wondering if this is normal "teenage" behavior. I just find it strange that it is ONLY first thing in the morning that he acts this way. The rest of the day, he very seldom will peck anyone. He has begun to mate, but even with that, he isn't overly aggressive at all.

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Morning wood, about as normal as it gets for a young roo.

3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:[​IMG] Too funny! I was thinking that...but that would make him so aggressive?? He isn't necessarily trying to mate with anyone first thing....more like just chasing everyone around and pecking anyone that gets too close.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Even my most docile roos come out of the coop in the morning dropping a wing on ANYTHING as soon as they get out the door. I can always count on a full on flogging attack from my little bantam roosters right out of the chute, too.
    Absolutely normal.

5. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:LOL! So true!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Hahahaha LOL. True. They also want to show the girls that they are the boss.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In many species (man included-have you noticed?) testosterone levels are highest in the early morning.[​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Both my roo and my cockerel do this first thing in the morning. My adult roo really tries hard to keep all his girls rounded up in a nice, tight bunch when they first tumble out of the coop. 'Course the girls ignore him and do their own thing, but bless his heart, he tries.

9. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    It must be normal roo behavior, cuz both of my boys do the same thing.

The minute they are let loose out of their nighttime quarters, they begin the swooping wing dance and they pretty much don't quit until they "score one."

Then they settle down and all is normal.

The hens have figured this out, so with the birds in the main henhouse -- nowadays the brighter and older of the hens will hesitate to come out in the morning, opting instead for their roo to do his thing with one of the younger or less intelligent hens first.

Then AFTER he's done his thing, the wiser hens come out.

There are only two hens living with the other cockerel, so that isn't a very effective strategy for the smaller group of birds.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Same here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by