Is it normal for a keel to sag before an egg is laid?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by azhenhouse, Feb 4, 2012.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I know that this is probably the most bizarre question, but I have a Saxony duck who's keel (especially towards the back) drags on the ground before she lays an egg. She is the only one with this problem, if it is a problem, and I am wondering if this is normal. It seems to be a bit uncomfortable for her, and it stays this way for a few days until the egg passes. During this time she is not very active, and acts a little bit off.

Like to here what your thoughts are. Thanks

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    All my ducks and geese get larger in the area between the end of their rib cage and the vent. I haven't noticed the size changing, that area just stays larger during laying season. You probably don't have anything to worry about.

As always, observe your birds every day and watch for any abnormal behavior. If she is behaving normally, she is fine If she is showing signs of distress, come back for more advice.

3. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    My ducks always get a lump in their keel area every day until they lay their egg in the middle of the night and then they are back to normal again. They have a hard time walking and sometimes they'll even have their heads just above the ground as they walk. They'll lay around more often and try not to walk as much. Then they are normal again until the lump comes back for the next egg.

It sounds like your ducks are normal.

4. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Thanks guys! Appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by