Is it normal for a new egg layer to lay deformed eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by natpb1991, Oct 6, 2015.

1. natpb1991

natpb1991 New Egg

Jul 13, 2015
    Hello,

I'm sure this might have been covered, but I can't find a thread. Is it normal for new egg laying hens to lay soft shelled eggs at the beginning?

They are on laying feed and free range during the day.

I have six hens, two lay normal eggs and we've started finding a few soft shell ones or open (cracked open soft shell) ones. The others have not started laying yet.

I actually saw one of my hens who laid normal eggs, lay a soft one yesterday. They are all new egg layers within the last few weeks.

Thank you!!!

Natalie

2. Millermarine

Millermarine Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    Ohio
    My hens have done the same thing. The very first eggs I found had either cracks in them or a hole. I also noticed they were soft and more oblong than egg shaped. As they have been laying for a couple of weeks now they eggs are now taking on there more eggly shape and have been coming out perfectly. Thus I assumed it was normal.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Yes, it is normal for them to lay a few deformed eggs. You read more on the subject in the learning center :)

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, it's pretty normal for the first month or so, especially the first couple weeks.
    Layer feed should cover calcium needs, but very good idea to provide oyster shells in a separate container always available.

1 person likes this.
  5. Millermarine

May 11, 2015
    Ohio
    Ahh Oyster shells. I wondered how to feed them. Can they be scattered or should they be put in a separate container?

6. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I read it was best to have in a separate container so they only eat it when they need it. You could also feed them there eggshells.

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You don't need oyster shell if on layer feed. I use an all flock type feed so use oyster for calcium supplement. I just toss a handful on the ground once a week for around 6 layers. That's all it takes and not needed if using layer feed.

8. Millermarine

May 11, 2015
    Ohio
    I am somewhat afraid of feeding them their own egg shells as I am concerned about them eating there own eggs in the coop. My neighbors chicken do this often. Granted they make their children take care of the chickens which really hasn't worked out very well. I take very close and good care of my flock.

9. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I was afraid of the same thing when I started at least a month ago but so far no one has started eating them.

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Eating egg shells does not promote egg eating. Again, just toss them in the run. If not fresh egg shells then cook them, a microwave works well for quick cook and long storage of shells. Back when I used layer feed I'd supplement with their shells. Microwave them for a minute on high to keep then roller pin them quick to break up and toss in the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by