Is it normal for a pullet to become broody twice in four months?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bookworm chick, May 19, 2010.

1. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I now have four broodies! [​IMG]
    One of them is a pullet that hatched a chick (didn't need anymore chickens so only allowed her the one) in March! Now she's broody again. And three of the four broodies are sharing the same nest. I just have a small flock of bantams. One rooster and 7 ladies. I just don't have the space for more. I intend to "break" the two broody pullets first. I will let one of the hens hatch no more than four eggs. The other hen has never been broody before but seems willing to share the duty so I might let her set also. These two hens are #1 and #2 in the pecking order and one of them is experienced in raising chicks and is an excellent mother. I can always send the excess chicks to auction, I guess.

2. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    Yes, 4 months in between and it is spring!

Some breeds are just more broody than others. What breed is it?

Brenda

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, it is normal. My banty chochin hens (4) are ALWAYS going broody. They average 3 times EVERY year. They are the BEST mothers that I have. They are so patient and calm. They let me fill up their waterers and food dishes and clean their brooders with no problems and they do not attack me like my KRAZY Buff Orpingtons. I always place the larger breed eggs under them for hatching. They always have perfect hatches. I LOVE MY GIRLS!

4. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    She's a barred rock cross.
    I just came back from the coop and she's outside with the others, but definitely broody. Must be too crowded in the nest with two other broodies sharing. I did get the other pullet separated in a crate with no bedding. I'd read somewhere on here that it can take 24 hours or more to break a broody, depending on the individual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by