Is it normal for a rooster to "cock a doooo"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rebecca10782, Sep 28, 2008.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Our rooster "cock a doooo's" instead of "cock a doodle doooo" Is this normal? I'm just curious.

2. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    How old is your rooster and when did he start to do this? [​IMG]

3. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    He has done this since he started crowing and he is about six months old now.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's normal. No two roosters sound exactly alike and it takes em awhile to perfect their crow. Mine left the do off the end for a few months.

5. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Yeah, they change a little as they mature. For the longest time my roo, Perkins, would crow with a high pitch at the end that made it sound like a question!

Er-er-er-er? [​IMG]

~Rebecca

6. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Rusty is over a year old and at the end of his crow, sometimes, it sounds like a little more air is escaping... lol!

I thought something was wrong with him until I heard my neighbor's rooster do it.

7. mudman

mudman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    SE Michigan
    I read somewhere that most roos only crow 4 syllables, not 5 like when we imitate. My silkie roo only has 3 audible syllables, my OEGB has 4.

8. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    my bantam roo has a very distinct tiny little half cockadoodledoo. Its about half the cockadoodledoo of the standard rooster across the street.
    Mine is full grown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by