Is it normal for chicken to huddle up in a corner at night?

Wilber Farms

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 27, 2012

Every night when I go outside to shut my chicken in their coop they are hunddled up in the corner and not in the nest boxes or the roost. Is this ok?

Is your roost high enough? Are they capable of flying up to the roost? Silkies have a hard time getting to the roost and will often sleep on the floor. Are they scared for some reason? Are they young?

I know they can get on the roost cause when i go out in the morning they are on it! They are still young we haven't gotten any eggs yet!

Our chicks are just over a week old and always huddle at rest. Three of them, likely to be cozy and warm. They fuss and push and shove until they are each satisfied they are where they need to be, and they sleep in a huddle. But they're not in a coop yet. We'll see what they do then!

my 20 chickens huddled in a corner until 16 weeks. They probobly would still be if I had not placed one of them on the roost at night. Three of my RIR still huddle in a corner at 18 weeks. Mine seem to like huddleing together about half the time when they are not roosting. Could your coop could be drafty?

Tonight we put them all up on the roost so we will see how it goes. A couple of them kept jumping off and I would pick them up and put them back on. They would just sit on my hand like and eagle at a show. It was kind of neat

Yes it is very common for them to do this. Our highest roost position is four feet from ground level and they do this on a nightly bases. It seems with our flock of 14 they all want the same spot at the same time and some will even walk over or under the others to get to the spot. At times they even knock some off the roost to get to the spot they want. Our roost has three tiers and it's 6 foot long so they have plenty of room but still they do this! At first it was heart breaking watching them do this nightly. Anymore I just let them do their own thing.

Back
Top Bottom