is it normal for chickens to act they have never eaten

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coldinnh, Jul 31, 2010.

1. coldinnh

coldinnh Songster

May 13, 2010
    NH
    every morning when I let the ladies out to free range for the day and I throw scratch down they act as if they have not seen food for days (same thing at night when they go into their coop area and see their feed) but they have access all day and night to their feed and water. (Extra water during the day but they seem to like the fish barrel instead). Should I be feeding more feed and scratch? They love to free range and I see them neatly trimmng the lawn. (1 area my husband no longer has to mow they keep it so trimmed). Or is this normal? They appear to growing and happy.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chickens are nothing more than pigs with wings and feathers. I just keep their feeder full and accept that fact.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Crowing

Apr 19, 2009
    When you throw scratch out it's "new" food and the flock mentality overtakes them. If one is eating new food it might be good so they all MUST EAT IT NOW!!! [​IMG]

If they've got free access to food and an area to free-range they're just fine. Don't worry about it. It's normal for them to behave like heathens when they think they might be missing out on something. [​IMG]

All I have to do is touch a feeder and they all think it's something new and exciting and come running to gobble up the feed. Same feed that was already in there, but my magic touch made it all the more scrumptious. [​IMG]

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Oh yeah mine ALWAYS think they are STARVING.... I dont call em my lil velicoraptors for nothing.....

5. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Yep they do...

I have to sneak out before daylight so i can dump a bag of feed cause i got so many it's hard to move when they are standing on my feet.

[​IMG]

6. burquechick

burquechick Songster

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Quote:Good Lord that's a lot of birds!! [​IMG]

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:If i had tha many birds my Mother would [​IMG] then [​IMG] me then [​IMG] until all i could do was [​IMG] and [​IMG]

8. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I LOVE the look on the dog in the picture!!

My chickens even take it a bit farther - I refill their food when it's low - but there is still some in there. They still act like I'm not feeding them - Hello!! The food I'm putting in isn't even coming out yet dummies! You're eating the same thing that was sitting in the dish 10 minutes ago!

But no, the hungry horde decends on the "new" old food. [​IMG]

9. laughaha

laughaha Songster

May 5, 2010
    Quote:That's what I call mine too

10. laughaha

laughaha Songster

May 5, 2010
    Quote:I would LOVE to see pics of your setup for caring for so many birds. All are really pretty. I have about a hundred and am looking for pics of setups involving large numbers of chickens and mixed fowl flocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by