1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is it normal for chickens to go through molt this time of year?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by holliewould, Sep 17, 2009.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Curious.

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Yes, they are nuts. Some go through it smoothly and others look like trainwrecks.

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Yep, definitely the time to molt. Almost all of mine are..... and no more eggs in sight. [​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

This is the only time of year mine DO moult! [​IMG]

5. Jonathanq1

Jonathanq1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Delaware
    my hen is also molting right now

6. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    my one hen is sooo bad! i can barely contain my laughter [​IMG]

7. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Mine are too, I'm luck if I get four or five eggs a day out of 14 hens - then they'll surprise me with twelve! The days are shorter, too, so that cuts down on their production too. It's fine by me, they need the rest, so they can start producing again in the spring.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Me too. She's normally the prettiest one, but right now she actually seems embarrassed that she has so many empty patches.

By the way, to someone seeing a moult for the first time, some hens stop laying eggs for the duration...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  9. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Ahhh Ok I don't feel so bad then. One of the hens is taking care of her molt, the other one is a disaster. It's like she doesn't even care about herself. This is my first litter so I didn't know about what time of year they molted. Thank you! [​IMG]

10. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:Well they've been laying, just not everyday. Maybe 3 eggs a week. The eggs look awkward as well. Shells are thinner and the shape is freakish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by