Is it normal for chicks/chickens to scratch themselves alot?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goldeneggtees, Apr 25, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, just curious if it's normal for chicks to scratch themselves alot? My 5 week old b/o chicks are always fixing/preening their feathers. I just want to make sure it's not something I should be concerned about. And if I should be concerned, what might be the cause.

2. Sylvie72

Sylvie72 Out Of The Brooder

Hi there,
    My chicks are always fixing/preening their feathers. It gets itchy i guess as the feathers are growing and its a way for them to "pluck" out the down they have also that is not needed where the feathers are growing. So I would not worry at all, just part of being a chick. My two week old chicks are worse than the four day old ones. [​IMG]

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    The only time I'd be overly worried is if you can see critters in their feathers.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:What she said. Check around the vent at night with a flashlight. Look on the skin and along the feather shafts. You would be looking for mites or lice, both tiny. They can be treated fairly simply if you find them. If they are still indoors, you are not likely to see any.

But you will see them preen their feathers often, regardless. Just what they do.

5. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks all, seems like they are fine and are just doing normal preening :–)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by