Is it normal for ducks to skip days laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shiningeyes, Sep 1, 2016.

1. shiningeyes

shiningeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    My KC started laying about 2 weeks ago. She's been laying an egg faithfully everyday about the same time. But this morning, no egg! My husband said she was a little quieter than normal this morning when he let her out but she's been acting fine all afternoon from what I can tell. Is it normal for hem to skip days? And if so how long should I wait before I worry something is wrong?

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I've actually had the same problem!!!Ive been getting only 3 eggs for last 2 days from my kc's.
    before i was gettin 4 a day.
    Any ideas anyone?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  3. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    My mallard hen started laying a couple weeks ago after finishing summer molt, one egg every 2 or 3 days, not real regular. Would expect an egg laying breed like kc to lay more often than that though, may be related to summer molt too.

4. shiningeyes

Mar 22, 2016
    Maybe. We had a week of pretty cool weather but then it got hot again. Maybe that threw her off? She doesn't seem to be molting though I think my make Pekin is. Maybe she's ready to start. She was injured about two weeks before she started laying so I just hope nothing is wrong.

5. shiningeyes

Mar 22, 2016
    I feel like it's harder with ducks! There's so much info around on chickens. Like when my chicken skipped a day I found info on chicken egg cycles and that it was totally normal and sure enough the next day she was laying again. But with ducks, not so much! I wish there was more info out there. Hopefully more of the duck people will chime in.

6. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I had an idea just now.
    Maybe its the shortening days?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by