Is it normal for my 32 week old Amber Star to not have laid an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jodiplunk, Oct 19, 2013.

1. jodiplunk

jodiplunk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    We bought our sweet Amber Star at 20 weeks (along with some 'sisters' of varying ages) and I was told to expect her to start laying at around 25 weeks. She still hasn't laid an egg. We're feeding her layers meal and scraps, they all have the roam of our quite large back yard (searched all around, no eggs) and have a coop with nesting boxes visible and near. Is there anything that could be preventing her starting to lay? They seem to be happy social birds, not stressed and no reason to be.

We also have an Ameraucana who is 29 weeks (although I have read these can be late developers) and a Black Sex Link who is 29 weeks, a Production Red and a Silkie who are both 25 weeks. No eggs from any of them.
    Any help or pointers? Anything we're doing wrong possibly or not doing at all?

Thanks in advance!

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    if you place your hand on their backs, will they squat for you? if so then they are close to laying or already laying eggs.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Nice little flock of pullets you have there. As a group they are a little late in starting to lay, especially the commercial types, but this time of year the shortening daylight slows some of them down. As Bornehomestead said, are any of them squatting? How are their faces, combs/wattles looking? How much in the way of scraps are you feeding them?

4. jodiplunk

Oct 19, 2013
    We don't actually feed them many scraps. They eat a LOT of bugs during the day as our yard has had a lot of Mosquitos this year. The feed goes in the coop at night. They've grown well and appear to be healthy and active. The amber star has a good bright red comb that looks a good size to me. The others aren't as developed as hers which I was thinking would need to happen before laying. I'm surprised though given their age.

5. jodiplunk

Oct 19, 2013
    Also I've seen some sitting under a bush or in monkey grass. Not sure about squatting?

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Is it possible some predator is getting their eggs in the coop, snakes will even curl up under the hen (who doesn't seem to notice). The snake is nice and warm and waiting for breakfast. Skunks, possum . raccoons etc. are egg thieves.

8. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Look for hidden nests, they may be laying somewhere you don't know about. then predators get them before you notice. Feeding at night attracts rodent's, plus they don't eat after it is dark.

9. jodiplunk

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies. We feed them just before dusk and they have a good feed before they get on their perching bar for the night. It doesn't seem like any rodents are getting in and we've kept an eye out A LOT for nests in the yard. I spoke to the hatchery where we got them from and they seem to think it's more of a fall sunlight problem, so we've put a daylight bulb in there for a few hours on a timer morning and evening to help them get the full 14 hours of light. Hoping that this will work, anyone had much success with this, and or know how long to roughly expect for the extra light to kick in?!

Thanks for all the welcomes too. This is a great resource and I've found it really helpful already!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by