Is it normal for my 8.5 week old pullets to stay in the hen house even during the day light?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ladybug Chick, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Ladybug Chick

Ladybug Chick New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    El Paso TX
    My chicks have been outside in their new coop for about 4 weeks. I have cameras in the hen house and the run so I can check in on them periodically.. We have had 100 degree plus days and they have stayed in the shade under the elevated hen house.

This week for some reason... actually the past 3 days they have spent the majority of the day INSIDE the hen house. It rained a little the first day they did it... and not they have done it the next 2 days.

I am able to get them out when I go out with treats... but they go back in and I want to make sure everything is normal. I would have expected them to seek out the shade when it was HOT... but it is now in the 80's and they are hanging out in the house. Any insight would be welcome.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They probably want the shade. Is it cool in there? Mine go in the coop in the heat of the day all summer because it is cool and breezy in there, and forage outdoors mornings and evenings. 100 degrees is about the upper limit of what a chicken can tolerate. If they are holding their wings a little away from their body and mouth breathing, they are uncomfortably hot.

3. Ladybug Chick

Ladybug Chick New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    El Paso TX
    thank you... they are mouth breathing and it has been unusually hot here in Texas. I have a fan in the shade under the house and one inside the house.. so I guess that is why... It just happened suddenly and they had spent the worst of the weeks panting outside so it was weird to see them inside finally... but maybe they just finally figured it out

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  4. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldnt worry too much.
    Mine hang out in the coop a lot too when it is hot. It looks like they are comfortable in there.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by