1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it normal for temp to drop after adding eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BentoMinion, Feb 14, 2013.

1. BentoMinion

BentoMinion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Is it normal for temp to drop after you add eggs? I have an auto rotator (it has been in there 2 days while I checked temps). Well, I put my eggs in the incubator as fast as I could and closed it up. When I checked back 30 minutes later the temp had dropped 15*! I turned the temp up just a hair and it is VERY slowly getting there.It was at 91* when I just checked. Is this gonna effect my hatching? This is day 1. Also the eggs were at room temp, so I was not putting in cold eggs.

2. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

When you open the bator, the temp will drop. Since it is only day one, the eggs should be fine.

3. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    Yes, the temperature does drop after you add eggs and it usually takes it a while to get back up to normal. Mine usually drops around 5 degrees. I don't turn it up unless it's been 24 hours and it's still low, because adjusting the temperature is usually what causes disasters. It won't ruin your hatch, they'll be fine.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. BentoMinion

Jan 6, 2013
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Thanks!

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  6. BentoMinion

Jan 6, 2013
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Sorry, have been sick and taking care of the kids and my sick SO. Plus school. Lots of work there.

Yes, it stabilized and seems to be doing ok now. :) I was just worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by