Is it normal for young cockerals to be missing feathers on the back?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JDB99, Jun 27, 2016.

1. JDB99

JDB99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

2. Starseed

Starseed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2016
    California
    No, it's not normal... It looks like maybe they are eating each other's feathers?
    Or, have you checked for mites/lice?

3. JDB99

JDB99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    I didnt think so. They seem bright eyrd and healthy other than the missing feather on the one. I just got these guys today. They were a little cramped in their cages. I'm going to dust them with some pemythrin dust. They will also be going into a much larger coop.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It looks like feather picking/eating. If they were in a cramped cage, that could be your problem.

It looks like they are young, so offer chick starter or an all flock/flock raiser (20%protein) feed. You may also want to give them some poultry vitamins like Nutr-Drench or Poultry Cell for a couple of days as well.

If you have other chickens, I hope you are planing on a quarantine period of several weeks so you can monitor their health and check for any signs/symptoms of illness, parasites, lice/mites. Once you are sure they are in good health, then follow a look-but-don't-touch integration method, so hopefully you won't have a lot of drama.

Feather Picking:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/chicken-feather-loss-cannibalism-causes.html

Quarantine:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/12751/urgent-reminder-please-quarantine-newly-acquired-birds

Introducing new chickens:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

1 person likes this.
  5. JDB99

JDB99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    I am definitely going to quarantine. They will be going into an ac controlled room for a week or 2 maybe 3. Other than the feathers they seem pretty healthy. Poop is consistent and no weird colors. It's supposed to be 2 cockerals but I think the one is actually a pullet.

6. Starseed

Starseed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2016
    California
    It does look that way :)

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It sounds like you are on top of things [​IMG]

To my untrained eye, it looks like you have 1cockerel and 1 pullet which may turn out to be a good thing.

I wish you well, and hope they are happy and healthy.

8. JDB99

JDB99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    That's now what I'm really hoping for. I planned on doing some hobby breeding just for fun and it would be nice to have a pair. They are eating and drinking normally so I think they will be just fine. Looking at them closer I think it was plucking due to be to crowded

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Boys will be boys and I suspect that you young chicken boys are playing a game of King of the Hill, otherwise known as who is the King of the pecking order with their former flock mates.

At this young age it really isn't important to chickens what sex each bird is, only who is at the top of the pecking order is important for now.

Hens or pullets in my experience pick and/or eat the feathers of males more relentless than the other way around. This is usually confined to the neck or saddle hackles, I vote for this feather damage to have happened before the bird came into your possession.

10. JDB99

JDB99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    Update, both seem to be doing fine. some of the missing feathers have started to return. I still can for sure tell if they are cockerals or not. Sorry for the imgur link I couldn't get the embedding to work. http://imgur.com/lCZq8k2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by