Is it normal that my duck is afraid of all other birds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Picklestix7866, May 31, 2010.

1. Picklestix7866

Picklestix7866 Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    Thawing Minnesota
    I got a female duck because I wanted a friend for my male. My male lives with a flock of Silkies and a few brown hens. I got her from a family because she was getting beat up by their other ducks and wanted a different home for her with better companionship. I put her in with my flock and she didn't like the other birds and the brown hens beat her up. She never fights back so I put her in with my goat instead. She can't stay there all year because it doesn't have good shelter for a duck in the winter, so I want to get her accustomed to the coop over the summer. The problem is, she bonded with the goat lol. AND I recently got some new show birds that can't go in with the other chickens yet because I don't want them to fight and lose feathers before the show, and they beat her up. I got rid of the brown hens so she wont get beat up anymore in the regular coop. Is there a good way to introduce her to the flock? She gets beat up everywhere she goes. She is such a sweetie though, and loves people and the goat.

2. RunnerDucks

RunnerDucks In the Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Bring her inside on the couch? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. Picklestix7866

Picklestix7866 Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    Thawing Minnesota
    Haha. Well I put her in with the regular chickens and my male duck and just left her there for a while. She wasn't happy at first but I think she's more comfortable now, especially now that I moved her pool with her to her new home in the chicken coop. It sure is easier to feed her when there isn't a hungry goat around who would stop at nothing to get at her food....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by