Is it normal that my hen is not laying eggs?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klaudia21, Nov 7, 2014.

1. klaudia21

klaudia21 Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    I think it has been 2 weeks since my hen last layed an egg. I don't know her breed, but she usually lays an egg a day. Lately she doesn't seem as energetic and does not peck everything with curiosity like usual. I think her crown is slightly droopier than how it normally falls on the left side of her face. I can tell it is less brighter and more pale-pink. She mostly lies down and does not get up for much (chickens get scared easily by anything, they're cautious). When she poops it comes out runny or really soft. Her tail is also down and when I let her out of the cage in the mornings, she does not race towards her fresh bowl of water like she always has although she is still eating normally. She just seems slow.
    [​IMG]
    This is Pecker and her poo from about a week ago.
    [​IMG]

These are from today:
    [​IMG]
    Pale crown
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crown before (old pic):
    [​IMG]
    I am worried and I really want to know what might be going on, what can I do for her, should I get her anti-biotics? A few months back I gave her a few anti-biotics because she could not eat and she was weak and sick because of some new mixed food I got her from the chicken store and it was the only thing that cured her. I don't want to get her used to anti-biotics though and go get anti-biotics when ever anything happens; that sounds unhealthy.
    Also, is not laying eggs for a period of time supposed to be a cycle or does she always have to be laying eggs? My hen Pecker is 1 and a half years old exactly. Maybe she needs more proteins? The only thing I feed her and my rooster are pullets with I believe 30% protein. And sometimes I give them avocado or banana or raisins, they are surprisingly picky to certain treats. What else should I feed them on a regular basis? Please help :(
    Also I would like to know what kind of "food toys" can I make/get for them so they can exercise and eat at the same time and just be healthy over all.
    And is there a chicken vet anywhere in Miami????

Thanks. Let me know if there is anything else you should know to help answer my questions.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

Have you checked her carefully for mites/lice? Has she ever been dewormed? Parasites can weaken a bird and eventually kill it so if she's never been dewormed that's certainly where I'd start. It's not unusual for hens to stop laying in the fall as they get ready to molt but I think there's more then that going on here with the way she's looking and acting. Chickens can be very hard to figure out so sometimes we have to start by ruling out the most likely possibilities and work our way out from there. Have you brought in any new birds or chicks recently that may have exposed her to coccidiosis?

If you are willing to take her to a vet look for an avian or exotic's vet in your area. Most regular vets won't see chickens and even if they do they usually don't know enough about them to be of any help. Having a fecal sample tested for parasites, coccidia and bacteria would be very helpful.

Just noticed in your pic's that her upper beak looks very overgrown, especially for such a young bird. I know in parrots that can be a sign of fatty liver disease I believe, not sure if that applies to chickens or not.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. klaudia21

klaudia21 Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    Nope, no new birds, it will always be just her and the rooster. I will check out the deworming though, thank you. And do you happen to know where fatty liver disease comes from? In case it is that, all I can think of is the anti-biotics since even anti-biotics for humans are bad for the liver. She only had 4 pills (once a day) before she got better back when she wasn't doing all great. I'll also check out the exotic's vet; must be pricey since she's a bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by