Is it normal to be able to hear your hen breathing ?! Just wanted to rule out any respiratory proble

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bbailey1, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Bbailey1

Bbailey1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    British Columbia, Canada
    - she is a 9 months old easter egger
    - eating and drinking normally
    - lay an egg every day or so
    - no discharge from nose or eyes
    - no coughing, sneezing
    - comb bright red and tail up
    - poop a little softer than normal but nothing i haven't seen before
    - no lice or mites
    - never been dewormed ( I ordered some ivermectin pour on ) so i will be doing this in a few days

So here is why I'm asking this question, on March 5, 8 am, i went out to let everyone out and feed and water them. This hen came in to drink from the fresh water that i just put in, and like i always do, i wait and monitor everyone. Well she was very loud while drinking and breathing heavily and her mouth was open, she seemed a little distressed and then proceeded to go to a nest box, so left her for about an hour thinking she just needed to lay her egg.
    When i came back out, she was not in the nest box anymore and there was no egg. She was out in the run with everyone but still was breathing heavily and seemed a little off ?!

At 2pm that same day, i brought her in and put her into a dog create with food and water.

March 6 ; she seems the same breathing heavily and slightly distressed, so I had some Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride power in my chicken first aid kit ( never had to use before). So i started treatment in her water.

March 7; 8am , she laid an egg and her breathing is not as heavy and seemed a little better. I continued to treat her water and monitor her throughout the day and than at 7pm i checked on her again and there was ANOTHER egg ?!!??
    She seems much less distressed and her breathing is calm but when i listen close, I can still hear her breathing.

March 8; No egg, eating and drinking, poops are a little runny ( maybe from the meds ?) breathing normal but I still can hear her slightly when i listen close? Is this normal that i can hear her breathing ?!

please let me know what you think....... maybe she was slightly egg bound ?!

any advise or thoughts would be appreciated !!!

2. Bbailey1

Jan 24, 2014
    British Columbia, Canada
    Anybody have any thoughts on this ?........please help [​IMG]

3. Bbailey1

Jan 24, 2014
    British Columbia, Canada
    anyone ?? PLEASE help

She is still breathing loudly ?

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    She could have a respiratory coming on. Sounds like she is having some egg issues, she is new at it. Try giving her one humane calcium pill or tums. Make sure she has access to oyster shells, I also crush up my egg shells and put them in with the oyster shells. I sprinkle some in their feed. I have been having a time with soft eggs. It seems to help.

Get safeguard for deworming, not ivermectin, it is becoming resistant to worms.
    You can get safeguard horse paste from our local feed store, and I bought the safeguard liquid goat dewormer from Amazon.ca. The dosage is cheaper if you buy it online, it's about half the price in the end.

Any chance you could post a video?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  5. Bbailey1

Jan 24, 2014
    British Columbia, Canada
    thank you pwand, I hope she dosent have a respiratory coming on , everyone else in the coop seems good so for..... shes been laying for a while now and she was pretty consistant before.
    I have baytril 100 inj , should i start her on this ?

ill try and post a video too ;)

6. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I added more about Safeguard on my post.

I would wait on treating until your for sure its an infection.

Apparently your not suppose to eat the eggs at all after giving Baytril to the birds because it causes resistance in humans in other drugs.

7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would save your Baytril for something very bad. The oxy you are using is for respiratory infections and can help out some intestinal problems also. She may be having egg production issues as Pwand mentioned and by her laying the second egg in 12 hours. As pwand told you calcium is very helpful to help prevent egg binding and layin problems. I agree with using fenbendazole or safeguard for worms--send your ivermectin back if you can. It may help with mite and lice, but not worms. Much of the worm literature online is out of date, and they still recommend ivermectin although worms have built up resistance.

9. Bbailey1

Jan 24, 2014
    British Columbia, Canada
    pwand,

Aspergillosis is the only one that has a similar symptom, "silent gasp" ??? i keep my coop and run clean and i believe i have good ventilation ?!
    hmmm ?

10. Bbailey1

Jan 24, 2014
    British Columbia, Canada
    just to clarify pwand,

you said to give her a "humane tablet" what are you referring too? sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by