1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is It Normal To Be SO Nervous & Apprehensive?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gfcm, May 9, 2011.

1. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    My eggs go into lock down on Thursday. I noticed one was cracked the day before yesterday and then I go and drop one 5 minutes later and crack it! It didn't appear the membranes were broke, so I coated with finger nail polish. (I had to frantically wake up my 9yo grand daughter to get some nail polish!) lol

My bator is home made and at 1st I had problems with minor fluctuations in temp and humidity. Honestly, I think I was just messing with it too much! And now; I candled the two cracked ones along with a few more since I'm getting so close to lock down. I don't want any bad eggs in there! They are just fine! They were active too! (Whew!)

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. bds613

bds613 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Texas
    perfectly normal!!![​IMG]

3. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Ive candled eggs at day 5 (to impatient to wait till day 7) and have found cracks in them. I didnt coat them with anything and they still hatch for me. You would think bacteria would jump right in there but ive found that they actualy do fine. Its happened a few times to me, usualy just 1 maybe 2 eggs though. I marked them so if they didnt hatch I could blame the cracked egg but they have hatched the few times I did it.

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Very normal [​IMG] It doesn't matter how many times you do it, there's always a little apprehension. My latest hatch just started pipping today & I doubt I'll be getting any sleep tonight.

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    It's ok! [​IMG] Also I have found that candle wax dripped on the crack works fantastically! Good luck to you!

6. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    I frantically searched on here and that's how I learned about the wax and/or nail polish. I didn't have any wax. I didn't have nail polish either, but knew my gb did! I was so tickled to see them moving today! I was so mad at myself when I did this! I checked out a book from the library to help keep me busy during lock down/hatching. I just now went and bought the last few things I needed for lock down and for the brooder. I have way too many age groups for my setup! (Sigh) I have 6 hens that just started laying, I have 3 chicks that are about 7 or 8 weeks, and a group of 22 chicks that range between 4-6 weeks. And hopefully 19 chicks that will hatch soon! lol

A week ago, I treated the three for cocci. Then the youngest for the same yesterday. Lost a chick in that group yesterday from combination of failure to thrive/cocci. Then found out that one of the laying hens has gapeworm today. Treated them today. I'm a little stressed. My stomach has been killing me since the morning I dropped the egg.

I think I'm getting ulcers again!

7. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    LOL I've calmed myself down to checking every hour or so when I'm home it is hard though to not constantly check on them especially when it's your first hatch

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida

Anyone who isn't the first time (or two, three, four, five, or six!) they incubate eggs probably should be doing something else! [​IMG]

9. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    A.T. Hagan :

Anyone who isn't the first time (or two, three, four, five, or six!) they incubate eggs probably should be doing something else! [​IMG]

lol I would have to agree with this! I guess it's logical for mothering (or fathering) personalities to be this way about 'Life'.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by