Is it normal to be this late?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crusty McPottydoodle, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    I have an Australorp pullet that hatched in May and an Araucana that hatched in June. Neither have started laying even though they are about 24 and 20 weeks old.

Given we are heading in to full on winter (or in my case cold and rainy season) and hens generally lay less over the winter, is it possible that they may not start laying until sometime next year?

It's a good thing they are cute, rotten pair of freeloaders..grumble, grumble [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think it will take them longer given the season. Mine are 9 months old and I was getting 5-6 eggs a day from 6 hens during the summer. Now, with winter coming and shorter days (light), I'm getting 2-3.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If it makes you feel better, I've read it's better for the hen if they start laying later.

Also, I'm not positive on this, but I believe Araucana's are a slower maturing breed.

What do your combs/wattles look like on the Australorp? I bet she's close.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I have both those breeds and they're around the same age as yours. Some of them started laying a month ago, and several are still being little freeloaders. It's normal, just frusterating. Mine are looking pretty well developed so I think I'll get eggs before spring, but I doubt if everybody will get with the program and be in full production before then. You're not alone though, lots of us still waiting on our spring chicks. If I had the room I'd be brooding chicks now so I could have pol pullets in the spring.

5. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Hah. I have two really big black sex link sisters that are over 8 months old.

One just started laying 3 days ago and her eggs are TINY.

The other one is showing no signs of laying eggs anytime soon.

See? Things could be worse!

[​IMG]

6. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Okay, I will stop being so impatient. Gussy's (the Australorp) wattles and ears are looking fairly red, but her comb has that dull almost dusty redish colour (almost like someone had sanded something painted white and the dust covered her comb). Juanita (the Araucana) has only a tiny comb that is still pale and dusty looking). she has wicked cheek feathers, though.

7. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    You have lots of company! I've got a blue wyandotte that hatched at the very end of April. Still hasn't laid her first egg! All the others in the flock have laid... 'Cept Miss Dot. [​IMG]

8. sillyaboutchickens

sillyaboutchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    NH
    Our Austrolorp just started laying TODAY! [​IMG] She is between 21 and 24 weeks old (we are not sure because we bought her as a young pullet). My guess is she is closer to 22-23 weeks old.

9. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I have two girls who were born in May and two in June - not a single egg from the crowd yet, but the two May girls are looking close - red combs and fluffy butts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by