Is it normal to get dirty eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pammmely, Dec 9, 2011.

1. pammmely

pammmely Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I have ordered several eggs from different people; most of them are just fine, but two of the shipments had dirty eggs. I've read that you aren't supposed to wash them, and you shouldn't put dirty eggs in the incubator. I paid a lot of money for these eggs. Should I just wash them and hope for the best?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The commercial hatcheries have the highest, possible hatch rates. Every egg is sanitized.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Although most sellers do their very best, sometimes it's simply impossible to provide completely clean eggs. I've incubated some pretty dirty eggs, and had no issues whatsoever, though I do worry about it when they are what I consider to be excessively dirty. Again, though, I've never had an issue, and I've incubated quite a few eggs.

The biggest issue I personally have with my hatching eggs sold is more from mud than from fecal matter. I keep nest boxes very clean, changing the shavings in them regularly, and never allowing the gals to sleep in them. However, when it rains, or when the show is melting - they'll get mud on their feet and sometimes carry it into the nest boxes, and rub against an already laid egg, smudging dirt on it. Not much you can do about that. Without seeing them, it's tough to determine how dirty is TOO dirty, but if you're uncomfortable incubating them, I simply wouldn't. Just because you spend $ on them doens't mean you must incubate them. I've purchased Marans eggs that I felt were below my standard of darkness, and pitched them (as much as I hated to do so, having paid for them).

4. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Quote:Why are we not supposed to hatch dirty eggs.I hatch Everything I get out of the Coop... OOPs, Maybe I shouldnt, didnt know

5. pammmely

Jul 27, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I have read that dirt and poop on the eggs introduce bacteria to all the eggs in the incubator. I bought the eggs from auctions on here, it just seems weird that someone would send dirty eggs and not clean them or something. They are pretty bad, can't scrape or wipe this stuff off.

6. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Based on my limited hatching, I'd carefully wash them in hot water, using my finger to remove all crud, then dry them and set them as normal. If you leave them dirty in the incubator you may get cross contamination which could ruin a lot of your eggs. I think this happened with my last round of shipped eggs - I didn't wash them, and by day 10, at least half of the eggs had bacterial growth.

7. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Duck eggs tend to get really dirty. I started selling muscovy eggs and in my ad (ebay) I clearly state I do not wash eggs, but will remove large chunks by dry-wipe. I've received some pretty dirty turkey eggs before myself, and do the same once I get them. anything really bad I wipe off with a damp cloth, or dry wipe, but I avoid any scrubbing.

I can't imagine shipping eggs covered in poo, myself. I would opt to damp wipe those, gently.

I received 12 duck eggs yesterday....clean, but OMGoodness the person packed them into two 6-pack egg containers, wrapped in toilet paper, which is all fine, but the res tof the packaging was SAWDUST. [​IMG] I hope it was clean sawdust, but I opened the box in the kitchen while making dinner. [​IMG] I was not thrilled. Worse than packing peanuts!!![​IMG]

8. pammmely

Jul 27, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Oh that's terrible! I thought it was bad enough getting the peanuts all over my floor![​IMG]

9. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Quote:I have Never Ordered Eggs before, But I am in Need of SOME Silkies, I have one hen and 2 roosters, The other hen got mauled by something Not sure what it was, Just found her, all torn up, but now needing some Silkies, Where do we go to buy eggs?

10. pammmely

Jul 27, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I got 24 silkie eggs on here (all clean). I have the same problem, but I have 4 silkie roosters and no hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by