is it normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by alaska-chick72, Nov 29, 2012.

1. alaska-chick72

alaska-chick72 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    interior Alaska
    Is it normal for ducks to "go off their feed" in the winter? They are eating enough to get them through,,,, im guessing. But it dosent seem like enough to me. I have 3 mallard drakes and 1 female magpie and 2 male magpies. I know its not the right ratio,,, but got these ducks kind of dropped on me this fall. It just seems like they arent eating nearly enough to keep them aliave but still seem to be thriving. A fresh gallon of water every day plus another half gallon so the bucket dosent freeze tight to the plywood. ( im in alaska and have -12 right now) I would really appreciate any input,,,, especially if anyone else here is in Alaska,, or a cold state. :) thanks.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    How much are they eating total?

3. alaska-chick72

Nov 28, 2012
    interior Alaska
    It seems like only a hand full or two of pellets are missing from the food bucket each day. I keep the food and water full so they can always get what they need. The water is filled once, if not twice a day. The food I will add to,,,,,,maybe 2 cups a day.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    so 6 birds total? is there access to anything else? I only have 10 ducks now i don't find they go through much feed during the day, i have a large singular trough that i put feed into, it's never empty at days end.

I give feed/water to my birds at night and notice that is when they are consuming the feed more, perhaps conserving energy during the day since it's cold? they do attempt to forage still, i have no clue for what the ground is frozen solid and covered in snow, but they get an A for effort lol

5. alaska-chick72

Nov 28, 2012
    interior Alaska
    No, they don't have access to anything else. I had them out in the goat pen until the temp went down to zero. I had to build them a big insulated box that is 8 ft long, 4 ft wide and 3 ft tall with a door on top so I can climb in and access food and water buckets, and eggs. Its getting down to -20 here now. It wont be long and we will be in the -30 to -40 range on temp outside. I've got a light bulb in the box and it stays about 15 to 25 above zero in the box. When the temp drops more ill put in a heat lamp. They seem vibrant and happy in their 'house.' And they have straw and wood shavings so their waste is somewhat absorbed before it freezes.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    pick up some gamebird feed and offer it and some cracked corn (sprinkled on top lightly) and see if that gets them eating again. Ours like pumpkin (even canned, NOT pie filling just pumpkin) broccoli, Corn is like candy for them and will help with body heat over the coldest months for you.

7. alaska-chick72

Nov 28, 2012
    interior Alaska
    Ill try the corn,,, thanks. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by