Is it normal.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aurorabev, Aug 11, 2008.

1. aurorabev

aurorabev Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2008
    Inman, sc
    It is normal for roosters at almost 2 months old to try and become supper before their due time? Lately about 2 of my roosters think that my fingers and hands are supper. Everything I go to move them so I can clean they try their best to take a piece of skin off. If it is normal... When will it stop? Or will they just be the first to be welll.... supper?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Your hands are great looming monsters invading their space. You have put them on the defensive and they are attacking you before you can attack them (the rooster's perspective).

They need to associate your hands with treats and kindness.

Don't come into their space from above. Make sure you are approaching them at their level.

Use your hands to offer them treats to eat out of.

They should calm down and re-learn your hands aren't coming at them out of aggression.

Good luck.

3. aurorabev

aurorabev Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2008
    Inman, sc
    I will try that. I do come at them at their own level. And once I get a hold of them and they sit on my hand they are fine. But I will try give them more treats. Thank you MissPrissy I need all the luck I can get. Not sure how much more my hands can take. lol. Hubby says I have chicken scratch love hands. lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by