1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it o.k. for them to breed??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hecatesmoon, Oct 6, 2012.

1. hecatesmoon

hecatesmoon Chillin' With My Peeps

I am getting chicks from a family hatchery, and I have been daydreaming about those chicks giving me more chicks! It struck me suddenly though, that I may not be able to allow them to breed!
    I am aware that an offspring can be bred back to its parent but siblings should not breed. Is it most likely that the chicks I have ordered all came from the same parents, are siblings, and therefore cannot be bred if I happen to get a rooster in my chick order?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It isn't ideal, but you've no choice. Start with what you have and then breed them, going forward, according to the plan. A 2 "group" plan, etc. There are a few ways of doing this in subsequent generations, breeding daughters back to father, sons back to mother, etc. Lots of folks begin with a related trio and then go from there. You gotta start with what you have.

3. RustysProvider

RustysProvider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    NE Ohio
    So basically chickens are chickens so it doesn't matter? (I'm glad someone approached this topic so I didn't have to open a new thread just for this)

4. dennarahl

dennarahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    I'd say its possible, but not likely they all have the same parents. There's lots of mothers per breed, and a few daddies. Its more likely they share a dad than a mom, so there is a little variety that way.

Let's say there's 20 hens and 2 roos. Ignoring the off days, there are 20 eggs a day from, and let's say the hatchery does an order of a weeks worth of eggs, so that's 140 chicks (perfect hatch). If you want 10 of them, the likelyhood that all 10 have the same dad is low, but definitely a reasonable possibility. It is impossible for them all to have the same mom, because there are only 7 eggs from each mom. Its more likely that each chick has a different mom than it is to have any duplicates just because there are so many moms to choose from.

With all those possibilities, that you'd get two chicks that have the same mom and dad, is darn near impossible. It is likely you could choose 2 chicks that have the same dad, but i wouldn't worry about it. Inbreeding isn't as big a deal in animals as it is humans. Alot of show dogs are inbred at some point in their lineage to get desirable traits.

5. hecatesmoon

hecatesmoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you! I was sitting here wondering if I would have to get a whole new lot of chicks from a totally different hatchery JUST to get a rooster!
    This now branches off into a new question. How many generations should I allow to breed with dad/mom/grandma/grandpa before introducing new blood or a new rooster to my flock?

6. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    od say unless they have something wrong with them u wouldnt hurt breedin em back

7. RustysProvider

RustysProvider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I don't know that you would need to. You may want to for more distinguishable traits. But like I was saying it may not be necessary. Lol btw I'm inexperienced and unsure.

8. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    if u want to bred later buy a dif batch

9. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    If your flock is good enough, you will never need to introduce new blood. I know many old time show breeders that started with a trio and haven't introduced any new blood in 50 years. Their flocks get so uniform and predictable that when you bring in new blood, you mess everything up and it can sometimes take years to get it back to where it was.

10. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    I used to breed Rex rabbits for show. I used the same buck for 6 generations of his daughters and never had any type of deformities or anything like that. The biggest key is to select and keep for breeding only the very very best animals. If you are trying to breed to the Standard of Perfection then you only keep those that are the closest to that standard. If you are just breeding for fun then just breed for the things you like. At that time I sold rabbit meat, so I would raise 100 babies and only keep the very best 3 does and possibly 1 buck out of 100.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by