1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it o.k. to use B.T. dunks in chicken water to prevent misquitoes?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by greenpixies, Jul 26, 2011.

1. greenpixies

greenpixies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Natchitoches, LA
    Hi!

The chicks will be moving outside tomorrow. I will be switching to a metal 2 gallon double wall water font which I intend to hang a few inches from the ground.

We're in Louisiana and have serioius mosquito problems. Does anyone know if it's o.k. to use those B.T. donut shaped dunks in the chicken water? We use them in our miniponds and container bogs and they work great to prevent mosquitoes. Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

2. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    We collect rain water and use that for our chickens. I have always put them in the barrels and then get the water for the chickens out of the barrel. You will want to break them into smaller bits for the font. The back of the package should tell you what you need based on he capacity of the font. I don't remember if it is based on volume or surface area. I only have to use 1/4 of one per 50 gal rain barrel and that lasts 30 days give or take. I don't add more till the old one is gone. Hope this helps.

3. greenpixies

greenpixies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Natchitoches, LA
    Thanks needtohatch!

I am used to breaking them up in to crumbles and peices as you described. I wanted to double check that it was safe for the chicks! Fabulous![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by