Is it odd or normal this year so many sick chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StormyMoon, Jul 2, 2010.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I have been reading the threads so much...I was wondering is this normal for so many people to have such sick chicks this often?

So far I have been really lucky I just let the chickens be chickens other than the petting, holding and snuggling part. I am sure most farmers don't really snuggle their chickens. I am a huge animal lover though and I cant help it.

But I am started to wonder why so many are getting sick?

Is there like up years and really down years or is this all the time it is happening?

I guess it depends on how your introducing to your new flock.
    I have a separate building that I put new chicks in and they don't touch the ground until they have the all clear.
    When they have the all clear then I move them to the back with the other chicks to free range.

I know I have read some people use different shoes and we have started doing that at the front door is our traveling shoes, at the back door is our farming shoes. We also change clothes...before handling and after.

I have now about 10 bottles of hand sanitizer that are placed all over the place I worry about transmitting viruses new chicks may have to others.
    Am I worrying to much?

2. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    Maybe I've been just lucky, but I've bought 3 sets of chicks this year from different places and none of them have been sick or died.

3. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I also got mine in a few different places so far non of mine have been ill either. But then I see on here and I am wondering what the heck is going on.

4. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I had problems with broilers and ascites. [​IMG] I also had one turkey chick that lived 3 months but was really a failure to thrive. Both came from the same hatchery, but I suspect it was genetic and the fact I live at higher altitudes.

My regular chicks have been -- knock on wood -- okay.

5. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:I am sorry for your loss.... its seems so horrible when things go wrong and we don't have an idea what went wrong.

Thats good your other chicks have been fine.... I hope there are less next year cause it seems like such a big loss people have been facing this year.

6. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I am sorry for your loss.... its seems so horrible when things go wrong and we don't have an idea what went wrong.

Thats good your other chicks have been fine.... I hope there are less next year cause it seems like such a big loss people have been facing this year.

Well, I only had one true loss to ascites. I butchered the broilers before the rest could die with it. [​IMG] THe turkey was just bad luck. [​IMG]

The losses on the list may be because there are so many people getting chicks. Maybe with all the chick buying, there's been some illnesses. [​IMG] I'm guessing that there are also many new people who maybe don't know a lot about chickens who have learning curve. I know I knew very little before April 1st, but I picked up several books and read them straight through. Certainly not all chick losses can be attributed to that, but I best some can be.

Thanks for the kind words. So far (knock wood) everyone is okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by