Is it ok for eggs to be cool before you incubate them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Maryallison, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I have 2 people that would like me to hatch for them. I have never hatched this time of year and was wondering if cooler temps outside have any affect on the eggs. I mean I can't be in the chicken house staring [​IMG] waiting for them to lay the eggs! [​IMG] Plus even inside my house is in the 60s? I have a few eggs on the counter saving them and I have a towel over them but they are still a little cool to the touch. Is it ok for the eggs to be a little cool before the incubating process starts?

2. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    room temp, before you put them in the bator.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:what your doing is good, just don't bring them in from outside and put them in the 'bator. a 24hr rest will not hurt. just don't do what i did, I placed my eggs next to the chimney to warm up from out side, placed a towel on them, and had a fire in the wood burner down stairs. i was still bringing eggs in so set them in the 'bator 4 days later, my hatch was great except it ran 4+ day, what i'm thinking is the chimney temp was high enough to start the egg incubating

4. Maryallison

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    So the room temps being in the 60s is ok? What is the lowest temps a egg can get to and then be incubated and hatched ok?

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Lower than you'll get in Florida, I'm sure [​IMG]

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:I've done 45 degrees, with out a problem. cooler is better than warmer

7. Maryallison

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    thanks everyone! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by