Is it OK for my pullets to snack on the following?:

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cheep, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Peanut butter (very small amounts), rose petals, cooked potatoes w/cheese, commercial breakfast cereal w/o TOO much junk in...?
    any problems w/ processed foods (like leftover ramen & frozen multiple-vege & rice & flavoring dishes)...
    TIA for any replies

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

they can eat almost anything that isn't too salty, and also it shouldn't be spoiled though a little mold is ok too. Some may disagree with that but I'm not talking grossly moldy, just a little.

Also, there's some things listed in the treats section of the learning center that are really bad, green potato skins, and a few other things, go browse there to see.

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    They can't digest potatos. I don't know about cooked potatos but to be on the safe side I would'nt feed it.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I think you are fine....My God, you should see the things I throw in to mine...if it's not too molded or salty they get it. And the eggs are Great, lg. yellow yolks, nice strong shells and ppl. love them..

5. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    D'Angelo N Va. :

I think you are fine....My God, you should see the things I throw in to mine...if it's not too molded or salty they get it. And the eggs are Great, lg. yellow yolks, nice strong shells and ppl. love them..

I'm with you there! Sometimes I feel like I'm feeding slop to pigs. What my kids don't eat at breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner the chickens get. The dog gets the left over peanut butter though [​IMG] Can't let her feel left out!​

6. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:I'm with you there! Sometimes I feel like I'm feeding slop to pigs. What my kids don't eat at breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner the chickens get. The dog gets the left over peanut butter though [​IMG] Can't let her feel left out!

Love this!! I tend to laugh when people post about their chickens getting all sorts of expensive treats. I won't buy a watermelon unless it's on a deep sale for my KID, certainly not for the chickens!! They get our scraps!!!

7. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Thanks for all the replies; they are very helpful. I think I am in the camp of those who feed leftovers to the chickens (& fruit, etc that may seem a bit too old to appeal to me).
    But, I did pull out a bit of cooked chicken that my Leghorn was just enjoying TOO much; I don't want her to have any other interest in her sisters, besides love & kindness.

8. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Our get chicken leftovers (including the bones which they pick clean). I don't think they make the connection, or if they do they don't care !
    We don't have a problem with them trying to eat each other.

They also get pretty much anything else that would otherwise go in the trash.

Whatever they leave behind gets thrown in the pond for the fish.

9. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Why wouldn't they be able to eat peanut butter? Mine love it, and I've never given it a second thought. I mean, not gobs and gobs of it, but they gobble up the kids pb&j crusts like they're going out of style.

As for potatoes, I've always heard no raw skins - so I wouldn't do raw potato flesh, either. However, my birds absolutely love leftover roasted and mashed potatoes. Particularly garlic/rosemary/parmesan-mashed potatoes. They're little foodies.

10. Beckymca

Beckymca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    wow, I've been throwing our scraps in the trash. I guess I'm going to have to bring a chicken bucket into the house. I've only given them left over bread heels, poor girls, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by