Is it ok if chick not eat at it first day

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the beginner, Dec 23, 2016.

1. the beginner

the beginner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Hi I live in Singapore,I currently have 7 serama chikcen including the newborn chicks. Well today my chicks hatch by my broody hen is it ok if a few dident eat or drink

2. the beginner

the beginner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Is it ok if a few chicks dident eat or drink.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Im pretty sure before hatching the chick absorbs the egg yolk and they go off that for a few days.

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chicks aren't very interested in their crumbles until around the second or third day, but water is very important right away.

Not all chicks will know to go take a drink, so you will need to dip their beaks in the water to teach them. Usually that's all it takes, just one beak dip. But you need to watch them all to make sure they're all drinking.

It helps to sprinkle a little bit of crumbles on the ground because chicks will be scratching around looking for something to eat, and may not understand right away about eating from a feeder. The broody also has an easier time teaching her chicks to eat if the crumbles are scattered on the floor. It only takes a few days of this and the chicks will be eating out of the feeder.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Chicks do not need feed til 24 hours after hatching and go up to 48 hours...They need feed as in Chick starter, fresh water....If anything other than the starter provide grit also...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by