Is it ok mixing chicks in brooder at 2 weeks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by trout5437, Mar 10, 2015.

1. trout5437

trout5437 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    callands va
    We have 17 Dominique chicks in a brooder right now at almost 2 weeks old. My wife has decided she would like a couple buff orpingtons!!! Is it OK to go ahead and put them in the same brooder with all my other chicks at this stage or would they be unfriendly towards the the new tenants???? We have a big enough brooder I think its about 3x5 ft!!! Any help would be appreciated!!!!

2. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    I've read that up to the first month you can mix chicks without much repercussions. Of course every case is different. I have chicks that are a week apart in my brooder, the littler ones seem to do more 'push you outta my way' than the bigger ones do.....

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Assuming you have enough brooder space and the chicks are the same age, they can be combined. Just keep an eye on them for signs of bullying.

If the new chicks are very young (1-2 days old), keep them in a separate brooder for a couple of days, until they're eating, drinking and running around normally. Otherwise, they risk being trampled by the older chicks. After a couple of days, they can be added to the other batch of chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by