1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Is it OK that chicks are eating sweet PDZ?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coop's Coop, Nov 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Coop's Coop

Coop's Coop Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    Well we finally got the coop and run together (first time chicken owners) and the weather was gorgeous at 82F so I put my son's chicks in the coop to have a nice day adjusting to the new digs. They will be moved outdoors soon, wether permitting ( and I'll make a mama heat pad cave for them). We have a dry dirt floor in the run to which I added PDZ, then a 3-4" layer of pine shavings. I'm trying to do deep litter in the run and also decided on PDZ and pine shavings in the coop that I will just change out weekly. The PDZ is sprinkled throughout the run and coop under the shavings and of course the chicks start kicking the shavings everywhere and going for the PDZ, is this OK? They seemed intent on getting at it and eating it despite having food and water and few mealworms in their coop. Geez I hope it's ok if they ate some! Should I be worried? They seem fine, tired actually from their big day outside.

2. fawndane

fawndane Songster

Oct 7, 2017
    Is it organic? Non-toxic? Chemical-free? All natural? If it is, consumption won’t hurt.

Coop's Coop likes this.
  3. Coop's Coop

Coop's Coop Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    It's stall refresher granulated PDZ. I bought it in a 40lb bag. I've seen many folks mention it on this forum but I didn't know the chicks would go for it like it was food. It was totally covered up by shavings and they just dug down to it and pecked it. Geez I hope they are ok! I feel like a noob!

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    They maybe needing grit! How much did you spread? I sprinkle some on the ground, thick layer of shavings & about 2" in the poop board. I've seen them pecking at it, read it's ok but if yours are eating as much as you say, sounds like they are lacking grit. What are you feeding them?

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Agreed!
    I would think they are searching for a source of grit. You can find poultry grit (crushed granite) at most feed stores like Tractor Supply. You should be able to find 2 sizes, chick grit and poultry grit. Scatter it in the run or place it in a small dish attached to a post, they will take what they need.

fwiw- I don't think consuming a small amount of PDZ will hurt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  6. Coop's Coop

Coop's Coop Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    They have had a bowl of chick grit since week 2 when I started giving them a bit of fresh veggies, fruit, quinoa...they eat the grit. How much is a sprinkle? The run is 11'X 4'. Any idea how much PDZ I should use for something that size? I spread about 6 cups and mixed it into the loose dirt a bit, then 3-4" of pine shavings over that. It didn't look like to much but then again...I'm a noob!

7. Coop's Coop

Coop's Coop Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    They have grit and use it.

8. Coop's Coop

Coop's Coop Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    Forgot to say they are eating medicated chick starter mash ( just crumbles in a blender, not wet). They also get a small amount of treats like organic fruit, veggies, quinoa and plain yogurt every other day. And they have chick grit which they seem to be consuming.

9. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Sweet PDZ is made of zeolites, a natural occurring composite of minerals created from volcanic activity... it won't harm them eating a little...

10. Coop's Coop

Coop's Coop Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    Oh gosh I hope so! Thanks everyone! Just checked on them and they seem to be completely fine. Please excuse my newbie panic attack!

Ravynscroft likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by