Is it ok that my chickens were out in the rain?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WhiteLeghorn2, Nov 26, 2013.

1. WhiteLeghorn2

WhiteLeghorn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    We have a run with a roof so that they don't get wet. The run has sand as the bedding, so they usually don't get fresh grass unless I let them out of the run into our yard. Usually, every night about 30 minutes before dark, I let them go into the yard to free range. They always go right back to the run and into the coop as soon as it gets dark. Well, I live in Maryland, and it gets pretty cold sometimes in the winter, and it is about 33 degrees fahrenheit right now. But it's raining and the chickens look very wet. Like usual, I went to let them out into the yard before they go to bed. Well, I used an umbrella so that I won't get wet, and the chickens did not seem to mind getting wet while searching for bugs and grass. They just went to bed about five minutes ago, except, they went to bed pretty wet. Is that ok for a chicken? I didn't think about it until after I came back in. Should I be worried?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Nope [​IMG] Their feathers are more or less waterproof. When they preen, they are spreading an oil on them. But they can get pretty soaked before they want to go in. Mine are usually out in the rain, even though they can always go into their coop if they want. Their coop is quite large, really a good sized shed, and in the heat of summer they will go inside for the shade -- but if it's raining, they are usually out in it, even a cold rain.

1 person likes this.
  3. WhiteLeghorn2

WhiteLeghorn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Few! (Sigh of relief lol)[​IMG]
    Thank you very much, flockwatcher! I deeply appreciate it. I'm very relieved.
    Have a great evening,
    bufforplover22

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by